Monday, July 12, 2010

Yupo painting


I have been playing with Yupo lately, a synthetic paper that acts really differently from regular paper. Apparently artists have strong reactions to it, either loving what happens, or hating the lack of control. Well i think i love it! The paint does some crazy things, but it's so fluid and vibrant. It almost feels like cheating, like the painting is painting itself. The only thing I'm not so sure about is that, after looking at others' yupo paintings, is that they all have a similar quality to them, they all look a little the same, which, i don't know, takes away from the uniqueness of each person's work.

The other problem is that the paint is just sitting on top of the paper, so a bit of water can wash it all away again. So i bought some spray varnish which is making me nervous because it is apparently highly toxic and flammable. :(

Here are my yupos so far.










2 comments:

  1. Dear Johanna,

    I totally love your work. I'm a special event chefs for different events in San Diego California. Cupcakes is one of the desserts that most of my clients ask for. Seeing the watercolor cupcakes has inspired me. Here is my blog I will like to share some inspiration from my site special event http://papayaseed.blogspot.com/

    Great job!

    Cristal Chen

    ReplyDelete